Monday, July 22, 2013

The power to change




This morning someone said to me something that I interpreted as mean.  They said, "You think you have the power to change people, but you don't!"

I instantly became upset.  This statement hit me to the core.  I always thought my mission, my life's purpose was to be a change agent, someone that helps people change for the better.

At first my thought was if I don't have the power than why am I alive?  I should just die.

I had to take time out to think about this.  I have created my life to be in a position that is available to help people and an industry change to what I feel would be a more positive path.

I came to a conclusion that people do have the power to change other's lives, if we let them.  It can be our choice to go with the change or not.  Also, not doing anything can allow others to create changes, good and bad.  Just look at our political system.  People in political power change our lives, sometimes in horrible ways, especially if we remain silent.

I also realize that sometimes people are afraid of change, so they do nothing, only to find that change is happening all around them without their consent.  Change will happen.  Change is the only constant.

As someone who feels they are here to help bring positive change, I know I may not be able to help people directly, but I can help people indirectly.  In this way, we all have the power to help bring about change and help change people's lives in positive ways.

The best scenario is if we choose to change in a positive way and ultimately have the power to see a positive change through, despite any fear we may have to move forward in a new direction.  

In the end,  that person's statement is true and false.  It has to be.  Otherwise, we would all be powerless in this world to make a difference.

-SDF

No comments:

Post a Comment