Monday, March 2, 2015

Sitting is the new smoking

I have been doing some research on "sitting too much." Our way of life has changed to the point that we are all sitting more each day. Some of us sit all day for our jobs, and/or have longer commutes sitting in the car, and then we go home to sit in front of the television, computer or game system.

Here is a list of why sitting so much is not good for us:

  • Greater risk of developing cancer
  • Increases risk of obesity
  • Susceptible to muscle issues
  • Higher risk of developing depression
  • Hypertension
  • Great risk of heart disease
  • More likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes
  • Raises the risk of disability
  • Interferes with LDL levels, the enzyme that breaks down fat
  • Poor circulation
  • Assorted aches and pains
The list can keep going on and on, but I think you get the point. You might be saying, "but I exercise at least 30 minutes a day." They have proven that all that sitting will negate the benefits of the workout. It is almost like you haven't worked out at all.

I am living proof of this. My life became more sedentary when I started working from home. I am constantly on my computer, like now. I did gain some weight even though I have been working out 30-90 minutes 6 days per week. I do some fairly tough workouts too, more advanced. The one time it was easy to lose weight was when I was at a conference for a 3-day weekend, and I was walking constantly around the city and conference center.

So, what can we do if we have to sit for our work? Well, maybe we don't have to all the time. Here is a list of advice:
  • Get a standing desk
  • Get the app Stand Up! for your iPhone which will alert you to stand up every 35-45 minutes
  • Create a YouTube playlist for mini workouts (under 15 minutes) and do these throughout the day
  • Take a walk on your lunch break
  • Exercise while watching television or at least get up during commercial breaks which can add up
  • Buy video games that make you move
  • Put on some tunes and take a dance break
  • Talk on the phone standing up
  • Have a phone meeting during a walk
  • Have a live meeting during a walk
In any case, we can do something active throughout the day to get the blood flowing.  Our bodies were made to move, not sit for hours at a time. 

Consider joining me for the rest of this month to take the stand up challenge. For the month of March, I will be using the Stand Up! app. I will weigh myself before and after, and also take my inches. We shall see if moving throughout the day makes the difference needed. 

Let's do this! 

Articles:
Ways Sitting is Shortening Your Life
Don't just sit there. Really.
Here's Just How Bad Sitting Around Is For You

Google "sitting is the new smoking" for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment