Saturday, December 3, 2011

Vote with your money this holiday season!

I haven't blogged in a long time.  It's been a crazy month of traveling, work, and other stuff.  I have still been working out and being creative though.

It's December and that means the holidays are right around the corner.  My holiday message to you is to vote with your money this season!  I call this action F.A.C.E. values.  Fair trade, American/Artist made, Charities paid and Environment saved.  It's time to send a message by not shopping at stores that do not value their employees, avoid shopping where they stock the shelves with cheaply made crap that falls apart after a few uses (or is detrimental to our health), and to start looking at the labels to see if the product was made by Americans or Artists.  Instead of lining the pockets of the big corporate tanks, why not spend your money where you know people will be benefiting from it directly.

I am a big advocate of shopping at stores that benefit charities with each purchase or stores that have fair trade goods.  I also recommend gift shopping at nonprofit online stores.  Maybe your loved one doesn't need "stuff," and would be happy with a tree that is planted in a rainforest or adopting an animal.  There are creative gifts out there that help our environment and put a smile on the faces of the people that receive the gifts. 

Also, there are artists out there that have wonderful art, live event experiences, that are more thoughtful a gift than simply a "toy" that will be discarded in the future.  The memory of an arts gift lasts a lifetime.

So there you have it!  F.A.C.E. values this season is about voting with your money.  If you care about our world, and I know you do, being choosy about your gifts this holiday season is a big way to show you care.

On a few other notes, I just finished my first workout of Jillian's 30 Day Shred.  It is a great workout!  20 minutes of an intense, well rounded circuit training .  I do feel like I have worked hard.   I do wish it had more cardio to it, but I can always add more cardio later.  I do recommend this series as a great workout to put into your rotation.

Lastly, I have been thinking about a personal 30 day challenge.  I have decided that since I have so many CD's and music lying around the house, it is time to have a 30 Day CD challenge.  I am going to listen to 1 CD every day and post here for your amusement.

Today I listened to Imogen Heap's Speak for Yourself.   What a great CD! I adore her voice, passionate and musical.  It's also music that makes you want to move.  Tomorrow, I have no idea what I will choose. You will have to wait and see.

So that's it for this one.  Vote with your money.  Workout until you sweat.  Listen to good music.  Every day.

-SDF :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment