Saturday, April 4, 2009

Accountability Post!


Okay, I did 30 min. of Nordic Track with 5 minutes of using the arms. The other thing I did today was to pick up a copy of the Dr. Phil book on weight loss, The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. It was only 50 cents at a thrift store so I thought, why not? I was in for a surprise just reading the first couple of chapters.

I had prided myself for doing 30 minutes of working out 4-6 days a week, but he suggest that you need to do 3-4 hours per week. Add up my 30 minutes a day and it is barely cutting the mustard (only if I do the 5-6 days a week!). At my age and fitness level, I am capable of doing the 4 hours per week, which is 240 minutes per week or 40-60 minutes per day depending on the 4-6 days per week.

He pointed out that 10,000 steps per day was sited as optimal. I know since switching to a stay at home job, I'm not moving as much as I used to, plus, the 30 minute workout was still lower than 600 steps. Yikes! This means during the day I need to have 9,400 more steps per day.

He taught how to form clear and concise goals making sure there is a measurement value. So instead of saying you want to weigh a certain weight, state that you want to lose so many pounds by so many weeks so you can feel _________.

In order to stay realistic, healthy weight loss is about 2 or 3 pounds per week. He had a waist to hip ratio to track your progress - waist inches/hip inches = percentage and women are best if lower than .80. The lower the value, the healthier weight distribution.

Lastly, he had charts that were more realistic for what you should weigh for you height, taking into consideration your bone structure.

So with all this to consider, I want to lose 16 pounds, 2-3 pounds per week by May 16th (6 weeks). This will put me at a medium range weight for my bone structure and it is realistic since looking back, this was a good weight for me. It was not my skinny minny high school weight either, but my adult body weight when I was feeling pretty good.

I want to lose the 16 pounds so I can feel better about myself, feel lighter, have more energy throughout the day, fit into the cute clothes I had at that weight (couldn't bring myself to get rid of the clothes I really liked), and feel healthier all around.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day, meaning, I'll perhaps take a walk or something else to keep moving, but not as a major workout. Monday will be my day off. I'm not a Monday person!

Other things I can do is to limit my portions a bit, I already eat the healthy stuff. Eat 6 small meals a day and drink 6 glasses of water. When I go to restaurants, I will try the trick of asking for a box right away and put away half for a later meal. It will save money too!

How's this for an accountability post?!

Fitnfun :O)

1 comment:

  1. I don't work out nearly enough according to that standard. But I don't have enough time. :-(

    I love the put away your take home portion first strategy. That is very cool.

    ReplyDelete