Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back in step!


I have been off and on sick the past week. My right ear was completely clogged. I finally broke down and went to the ear doc and had my ears irrigated. I can hear again! I'm not getting dizzy at the drop of a hat anymore!

So, time to get back to it. I bought the Step Diet book to get to know all about the steps program. It was at Ross for only $3.99. Not bad!

I've only read the first chapter, but the book converts calories in and calories out into steps so you can figure out a good amount to eat for yourself and a good amount to workout.

It has a very cool appendix section. Section A is about Energy Awareness. It talks about portion control and gives you tips of what to cut out (like using one egg and one egg white for scrambled eggs) to help you stay energized with less calories.

Section B is a BodySteps table and gives you the amount of steps your body burns for you considering your weight and height. What it doesn't say is if the number applies towards a year, month, week, etc. I'm confused! I looked in the book and it is for a formula to find out your percentage of energy burned during your typical day. I'm not quite in that part of the book, so I will wait on this one.

Section C gives you a chart to find the MegaStep value for foods. It helps you calculate how many steps it takes to burn off the amount of food or how many steps you need to splurge.

In the book there is also a section of steps per minute of other activies like swimming, skiing, etc. It has one chart for men and one for women. Men burn more calories per minute. No wonder it's easier for them. Bah!

I also found a useful chart of steps per calorie, again, one for men and one for women. If I want to burn off a pound, according to the chart, I will need to take 115,500 steps. If I want to lose that in a week, I need to take at least 16, 500 steps per day. Yikes! I'm barely getting in 2,000-6,000 on average. I'm hoping there is another number in there somewhere that decreases this.

As soon as I read more, I will blog more. It seems like a well thought out plan, although perhaps a little complicated at times. However, taking steps and taking more steps is something we all can strive for (pun included!).

Fitnfun :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment