Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How many steps equals losing 1 pound?

So I looked up the formulas. I found that 2,000 steps is approximately 1 mile. 10,000 steps per day then is 5 miles, which is what is recommended.

2000 steps = about 100 calories for someone that weighs 150 and a little less if you weigh less.

1 pound = 3500 calories. This means that it will take 70,000 steps to burn 1 pound, which equals a weeks worth at 10,000 steps per day.

If you aren't losing weight, it's recommended you up it by 2,000 steps per day (or one mile).

This is only an estimate. I found in one study that walking for an average woman only burns 43 calories. That would be 164,000 steps to equal one pound. Yikes! Running for an average woman burns 91 calories or closer to 100. Obviously, the more active the steps are, the higher calorie burn.

You can also balance this with your calorie intake to chisel calories off from that end too. Someone eating 1800 calories per day, in order to lose 1 pound dieting would need to go down to a 1300 calorie diet. You'd lose two pounds if you were to do the 12,000 steps for the week too.
It all depends on metabolism, weight, activity levels, etc to find the right exact balance. I'm wondering if someone out there can finally narrow all this down so you would know exactly what you as an individual would need to do to lose the weight. I don't think we are quite there yet, but maybe in the future, we can all be handed our individual regimes so we don't have to even think about any of this stuff: you need to eat x amount of calories per day and do x amounts of steps to lose x amounts of pounds in x amounts of weeks.

I guess until then, I have to stretch my math brain to the limits to figure it all out. To lose the 16 pounds, I'd need to take 1, 120,000 steps at least! I'm glad I know that the journey only starts with one step at a time.

Fitnfun :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment